Happy Harbor recognizes the growing significance of comics in libraries and would like to offer the opportunity to acquire these books at a significantly lower price and with less difficulty. Additionally, we also offer the opportunity to have our experienced staff and friends visit your school or library to help educate kids of all ages about the creative benefits of the medium of comics, jobs within the industry and more!
"Teacher Comix" by Rudi Gunther
COMIC BOOK FAIRS
Happy Harbor is proud to announce we are now offering Comic Book Fairs to schools and libraries! What makes our book fairs better than anyone else’s?
Check out our spotlight guides featuring the books we think are outstanding and that we’ll make sure we’re well stocked with for your event! You can send either PDF below out to your parents and students in advance and even post it on your websites to help build the buzz! Remember, the more we sell, the more free comics you get for your library!
Happy Harbor is devoted to building new readers, writers, and artists and our book fairs will do just that with our fun and interactive program!
Our Comic Book Fairs have even been featured on CTV Edmonton News -
Click here to watch the video clip!
CURRENTLY, WE ARE FULLY BOOKED BUT WOULD CONSIDER ADDITIONAL DATES IN JUNE IF DESIRED.
ARTISTS – We need your help to inspire comic creators and fans!
THE WINE AND CHEESE PANELS, An evening for Educators
Happy Harbor is always celebrating the amazing work that teachers, librarians, and educators of all kinds do in their incredibly important profession!
As the role of comic books and graphic novels in the classroom and beyond continues to gain the support of educators around the world, the space reserved for them in libraries and schools grows; but no two educational environments are alike, and it can be difficult to assess which materials will best fill those spaces. Happy Harbor can help navigate the world of sequential storytelling. We know you want comics in your classrooms and libraries. We also know there’s a lot of comics out there and finding the right books can be very intimidating. To help combat these issues, Happy Harbor wants to give you the opportunity to learn more, be entertained, and even get some personalized shopping done.
And so, we created the Wine and Cheese Panels, a vital forum for educators to interact with each other, meet comic creators, and stimulate ideas and discussion about the exciting educational horizons opened by comics. Occurring just a couple times a year, FREE OF CHARGE, we’ll invite you to our store to sit and relax, learn about comics, enjoy some refreshments and snacks, and be wowed by special guest speakers that we’ll bring in just to talk to you!
Thurs Oct 19, 2017 Wine & Cheese Panel #4 - Comic Activites in the Classroom
STOCK PURCHASING THROUGH HH
We want you to have comics in your classrooms and libraries so we do our best to make it easy and affordable!
- a 35% discount on all Marvel and DC Comics (comics books, collected editions, and graphic novels) and 30% off all other publishers off the Canadian cover price. We have access to thousands of titles, including the most popular North American and Japanese (Manga) titles!
- We pick for you! There are so many comics, where do you begin? You don't have to as we'll build you an order based on your budget (and no budget is too small)! We'll also examine your current inventory along with circulation numbers to ensure we make the best picks for you library!
- We provide you an estimate of your order with a chance to review product before anything is ordered. And we invoice with delivery of your comics!
- We maintain a record of your purchases, making future ordering easier! Just request a dollar amount and we can order (when available) the next volumes in series from your previous order!
- Our staff is knowledgeable about all different types of books, not just from reading reviews but from reading thousands of comics. From Superman to Dragonball (wink), our staff covers the bases where knowledge about appropriate material is concerned!
Ask us for recommendations or look below!
- We offer a full return policy for any material for any reason!
Happy Harbor wants to help you build your library to keep kids happy and active!
Email us today to place an order or ask how a monthly comic book subscription can replace and enhance your magazine section!
Top 10 Graphic Novels 2017, School Library Journal
Best Teen Graphic Novels and Manga of 2017, Chicago Public Library
Notable Children’s Books of 2017, the New York Times
The Best Graphic Novels of 2016, Ross Johnson, Barnes & Noble
The 10 Best Comic Books of 2016, Abraham Riesman, the Vulture
Best Kids Graphic Novels of 2016, the School Library Journal
DIAMOND BOOKSHELF CORE LISTS:
The selection of titles below was made with classrooms and libraries in mind. All titles are suitable for display, and the intended audience for each is clearly noted.
- Titles for Kids (Age 6+) - a list of essential titles for kids age 6 and older.
- Titles for Young Adults (Age 13+) - a list of essential titles for young adults age 13 and older.
- Titles for Older Teens (Age 16+) - a list of essential titles for teens age 16 and older.
- Titles for Adults (Age 18+) - a list of essential titles for adults age 18 and older.
If you are interested in adding any of these titles to your library, please call Jay at 780-452-8211 or direct your email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org!
EVENT IDEAS & SUPPORT
ANNUAL EVENTSCalgary Comic Expo - Alberta's largest celebration of pop culture, mid-to-late April
Free Comic Book Day - First Saturday of May. Book orders are due in January
Edmonton Entertainment Expo - Last weekend of September, great for local fans
24 Hour Comics Day - Marathon comic creation in early October
Halloween Comicfest - "around" Halloween. Book orders due in August.
ANY TIME YOU WANT EVENTSComic Jams! - Improv comic art making! Click this link for an example.
Comic Book Club! - meetings to talk and swap comics!
Comic Art Show! - comic themed artwork to be showcased to the community!
12 Hour Comic Challenge! - the "younger" sibling to the 24 Hour event. Less endurance, more creativity!
Comic Art Battles! - Artists and audience members battling on the art boards for accolades! See one here!
Award-winning store owner Jay Bardyla is available for teacher and librarian conferences across the province (and a bit beyond). Please subscribe to our monthly newsletter to find out how you can bring Happy Harbor to your region!
View the monthly newsletter here.
Click this link to subscribe to our Newsletter!
LOCATIONS WE'VE VISITED
Since 2007, Happy Harbor staff and volunteers have travelled to hundreds of schools and libraries across Alberta and Saskatchewan to talk to thousands of students, teachers, librarians, and parents about comics; how they are made, their history, career opportunities, and more.